Thursday, June 4, 2009

With this overpopulated earth...is it really ethical to want to have children?

Had a major argument with one of my closest friends the other day.
First of all he doesnt like kids.
His second argument for not choosing to have children weighs a bit heavier; overpopulation of the planet.
How can it be environmentally sound and sustainable to raise a family. Even if you can provide the best future. Even if you can drive green cars and replant rain forest and shop eco-cotton clothes and eat local vegetables. Every western child consumes this planets resources probably 10 times of a child in the developing world.
So even if we want to see the solution in providing slum dwellers with condoms...it not gonna work.
My friend has a point. And he is firm in his believes. He can agree to say that one kid is at least better than three.

I still want a family one day. I want to give birth to a child if I can. But I dont want to bring something wonderful into this world just to destroy the planet equally much.

One child? Is that fair?

No comments:

Post a Comment