Thursday, February 12, 2009

Handmade baskets


Today my head is all into baskets.



Im doing this consultancy in a week or so for a handicraft project up in norther Kenya. Its a group of Rendille and Samburu women who have been weaving traditional camel milking baskets for quite some time but needs a bit of help when it comes to design, quality, marketing....well almost everything...

Im a bit freaked out about this whole thing. First of all, I have never taught a intense workshop with 60 illiterate bush women before on how to think about design and quality... I mean I have been working with it for some years now but in a project where it has come gradually, over time. The place itself is also scary enough, probably stunningly beautiful, but very far far away in a arid and harsh landscape. I will be there for a week. Relying on the plane to come and pick me back to civilization and mobile phone network again.

Ok, so HOW do you make these baskets look more appealing? How do we sell them?
That is the big question of today...

And I better come up with something good...my career and future development lies lurking within this...

Panic...slightly...

No comments:

Post a Comment